Slideshow

About Me

PA, United States
For now, I work as a stay-at-home mom of three beautiful children (a boy who is 2, a girl who is 4, and a step-daughter who is 18 and currently attending American University, Go Alex!!) while trying desperately to finish my dissertation in sociology. My husband and I have been together for 10 wonderful years and he works as a software architect. While he helped me design this blog, he cannot be liable for its content. I decided to start blogging because: 1) Many of my mommy friends have blogs and I was tired feeling left out, 2) I needed a place to vent my frustrations about my graduate program and rave about my children and my husband, 3) a blog can keep our extended family (who live very far away) updated, and 4) as fellow mommy blogger once told me (thanks Patty), a blog is a historical record that can later be shared with your children.

Favorite Quotes

  • The phrase "working mother" is redundant. Jane Sellman
  • How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes! Maya Angelou, African American poet
  • Be careful what you give children, for sooner or later you are sure to get it back. Barbara Kingsolver
  • The development of a tree depends on where it is planted. Edward Joyner, Yale Univ. School
  • We have been the benefactors of our cultural heritage and the victims of our cultural narrowness. Stanley Kripper, Psychologist
  • Being 'educated' means knowing how little I really know. Carol T Lloyd
  • Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage. Anais Nin
  • We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are. Anais Nin Diarist
  • We are continually faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as in insoluble problems. John W Gardner
  • Age is a high price to pay for maturity. Anon

My Reading List

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Attending a family wedding

So I have FINALLY joined the blogosphere. It took me a little bit (well maybe a lot) longer than I had anticipated but I'm now up and running (thanks to hubby for helping me design my blog). Babe you're so awesome!

Last night we had our first non-family babysitter come while we attended a family wedding. I was a little nervous especially since I hadn't met this new babysitter before she arrived but she came highly recommended (thanks Jen!) so I took a deep breath and then proceeded to call her every 45 minutes to “check in” on the kids. Oh and I wasn’t even the worst of it, hubby sent me to the bank right before she arrived so he could "interview" her without me around. Poor girl, I'm sure she had no idea what she was getting herself into. Actually she was a wonderful girl and she did a wonderful job. We will certainly use her again and hopefully sooner than later. But Let me get back to the wedding and my embarrassing moment. Well the wedding was my hubby’s cousin’s daughter and it was absolutely beautiful! The ceremony was held outside a restaurant overlooking a beautiful lake and the reception was held at the Philly convention center. It was a pretty traditional American wedding except that when we arrived for the cocktail hour we were greeted by 18 foot giant puppets, live drum music and a Spanish dancing troop. It was really something and as always when I’m with my in laws, I had a wonderful time! I mean I couldn't have married into a more beautiful, loving and fun family even if I had tried. Hubby and I had a great time and danced so much that it took about three hours after the reception before I could completely feel my toes again.

Ok, so about that embarrassing moment I mentioned earlier. This will certainly go down as one of my worst memories. We arrive at the cocktail hour and me and hubby and my in-laws immediately go to the bar for cocktails. I order a glass of red wine (this is important) and I begin to mingle. Hubby and I are next to each other but mingling with others. All of a sudden we both notice the mother and father of the bride and as I'm talking to another woman hubby starts heading over toward them. So I end my conversation and follow him over so that I can give my congratulations. Hubby greats the father of the bride and I begin to greet the mother of the bride with a hug. As I lift my arms to embrace her, hubby turns around to point to something (not knowing I'm behind him) and hits my hand (the one with the wine glass). Yes, you guessed it! Red wine goes flying through the air and lands all over me and the MOTHER OF THE BRIDE!!! Initially I thought it had just spilled on me since it was in my eyes and I couldn’t see but once my eyes stopped burning and I opened them I noticed that the Brides mother was drenched in red wine, it was all over her face and all over her beautiful dress. Ugh!!! It was truly one of those "want to get away" moments. So as hubby wipes my face and as I wipe her face I'm thinking OMG we just ruined one of the most important days of this woman's life. Fortunately for hubby and I she was wearing a reddish pink dress and once the wine dried you really couldn't tell. We were also fortunate in that she was very nice about the entire thing and approached us twice throughout the evening just to say that it was ok. I have to tell you that hubby and I have not been able to get this unfortunate event out of our heads. In fact, we have been lamenting about it all day. Looks like hubby and I made it into the memory of this family's wedding day for good. Not how I would like to be remembered but what can you do?

4 comments:

powesq said...

Yay! Welcome to the bloggy world! It looks awesome!
About the red wine...wish I could say that they will forget about it with time, but...not so sure about that! But I AM sure that they (and you!) will be able to laugh about it more and more with time...

Sarah said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

Red wine..I was cringing as I read.

Shannon said...

Yay! So glad you are blogging. Cant wait to read more!!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow that is a good one. Your blog looks great! So glad you're joining us. I've missed you so now at least I can catch up online:)

 

Pink Girlz Blogger Template | Blogger Clicks Design