Slideshow

About Me

PA, United States
For now, I work as a stay-at-home mom of three beautiful children (a boy who is 2, a girl who is 4, and a step-daughter who is 18 and currently attending American University, Go Alex!!) while trying desperately to finish my dissertation in sociology. My husband and I have been together for 10 wonderful years and he works as a software architect. While he helped me design this blog, he cannot be liable for its content. I decided to start blogging because: 1) Many of my mommy friends have blogs and I was tired feeling left out, 2) I needed a place to vent my frustrations about my graduate program and rave about my children and my husband, 3) a blog can keep our extended family (who live very far away) updated, and 4) as fellow mommy blogger once told me (thanks Patty), a blog is a historical record that can later be shared with your children.

Favorite Quotes

  • The phrase "working mother" is redundant. Jane Sellman
  • How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes! Maya Angelou, African American poet
  • Be careful what you give children, for sooner or later you are sure to get it back. Barbara Kingsolver
  • The development of a tree depends on where it is planted. Edward Joyner, Yale Univ. School
  • We have been the benefactors of our cultural heritage and the victims of our cultural narrowness. Stanley Kripper, Psychologist
  • Being 'educated' means knowing how little I really know. Carol T Lloyd
  • Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage. Anais Nin
  • We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are. Anais Nin Diarist
  • We are continually faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as in insoluble problems. John W Gardner
  • Age is a high price to pay for maturity. Anon

My Reading List

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Thursday, October 23, 2008

I have scheduled a proposal defense date!!

FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY...did I say FINALLY? Yes, I have finally been allowed to schedule a date for my dissertation proposal defense! YEAH! It has only taken me an extra year and a half to get to this point but let me not complain and instead just revel in the great news. So the big day is November 12th.

To catch a few of you up to date, I finished my graduate school coursework the year before Maya was born and then took my preliminary exams. So for the last 4 years, I have been trying to put together a study proposal for my dissertation and form a dissertation committee. I took a lot of time off while I was pregnant with both Maya and Armani, but once I started actively working on the proposal (about two and a half years ago) I had it done within the year. However, trying to form a dissertation committee has been unbelievably difficult; my department wasn’t very willing to work with me after I had taken almost two years off.

So what does all this mean and where do I go from here? It means that I will present my study proposal to the entire department on November 12th and if they accept my proposal I can move forward to conduct my study. This is more of a formality than anything else; they usually don’t let you set a date until they are confident that you will be advanced. So what am I studying? I’m studying acculturation and infant feeding among the Hmong people. The story of Hmong people in the U.S. is truly fascinating (I will post more about the Hmong in the U.S. at a later date). Hmong people are an Asian ethnic group from southern Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Myanmar-Burma but most Hmong living in the U.S. came from Laos and Thailand during the late 1970s. They came to the U.S. as refugees after fighting the communist-nationalist Pathet Lao and assisting the U.S. during the Vietnam War. Hmong culture is truly unique and they have a strong sense of independence. Like many refugees and even other immigrant groups, I think that the obstacles the Hmong people have overcome and their resilience are amazing. I’ll post more about my study later. I certainly don’t want to bore you all at once.

About a year ago, I thought I would never get to this point and to be honest I even thought of quitting. I’m so glad I stuck with it. Many thanks go out to my hubby for always believing in me and encouraging me to continue. I LOVE YOU! From here on out things should go relatively smooth and I anticipate being completely done by next October. I CAN’T WAIT!!

2 comments:

Big Blue Belief said...

I'm so proud of you baby. I have to go back to something I saw in you when we first started to go out. I have always been under the belief that under extreme pressures there are some people that you squeeze and they fall apart. Then there are people that you squeeze... and they focus. What I have appreciated the most, being at your side during this journey is when life started to squeeze on your dream... you focused and never let it get the best of you. That is something I hope to inspire to some day. Besides... god only knows we have to marry a Doctor into the family. :)

Unknown said...

Shannon-

I noticed on "Facebook" that you have this blog and thought I would check it out. Congratulations on your upcoming defense!!! Also congratulations on your beautiful family - how wonderful. I wish I could be there for your defense but I can't get out of work. Good luck and best wishes.

Wendy

 

Pink Girlz Blogger Template | Blogger Clicks Design